There is an element of both ‘naivety’ and spontaneity in how I approach painting. ‘Naivity’ in the way I like to express my raw emotion and let the brush guide me to the journey of painting. Spontaneity in the sense that most of my works are unplanned, conceived as I go along. It is a satisfying approach as it reflects on the sentiment and passion that I like to stamp out in all my endeavors. Every single painting has a personal story attached to it and these contain elements that touch on aspects of everyday life.
A number of recurring themes are evident in my paintings. The sense of dreaming, aspirations and the innate emotion is expressed in ‘azul’ (blue in Spanish). This is blended with the richness of the past and the beauty of living the present, indeed elements drawn from the coast and skies of bay side Melbourne. The sense of passion and romanticism is latent in the intensity that results in blending red and other colors. This is influenced by my Guatemalan upbringing, embedded with the history and tradition of the Mayan and Spanish cultures. The sense of blending cultures, artistic expression and everyday living are evidenced in these paintings as I draw elements from the environment where I live, the people that touch my life. I also reflect on the notion of the past (where we come from), to the present (where we are at) and where we are heading to, or what we dream about.
List of works: Impromptu at Mr Burch. January 2013.
1. Baerbel. 2012. 51 x 40 cms. Acrylic on canvas.
2. Contour of an ephemeral passion. 2012. 51 x 66 cms. Acrylic on canvas.
Stairs / Corridor
3. On the subject of being. 2012. 40.5 x 50.5. Acrylic on canvas.
4. A view to the untitled. 2012. 40.5 x 50.5 cms. Acrylic on canvas. 20 x 16.
5. Maximon San Simon. 2012. 50.5 x 40.5 cms. Acrylic on canvas.
6. The stretch of lust 2011. 76 x 61 cms (24 x 30 in). Acrylic on canvas.
7. What dreams are made of. 2012. Acrylic on canvas. 101 x 101 cms (40 x 40 in).
8. Mayan sisters. 2010. 91 x 122 cms (36 x 48 inc). Acrylic on canvas.
9. Sail away. 2011. 61 x 46 cms (24 x 18in). Acrylic on canvas.
10. Hunaphu’s blowgun. 2012. 51 x 40.5 cms (20 x16 in). Acrylic on canvas.
11. Suppressing mother’s lament. 2009. 101 x 101 cms (40x40 in). Acrylic on canvas.
12. Commanding desire. 2011. 61 x 76 cms (24x 30 in). Acrylic on canvas.